Wednesday, March 29, 2023

6 Things I Need to Make this Writing Thing Work


  The post below, ironically from about this same time last year, feels incredibly appropriate. My daughter just celebrated her first anniversary as an independent young adult with a real-world job, so I can no longer blame that distraction, as I've had a year to adjust. But, having taken on one too many projects (once again), yesterday's blog post (like last Tuesday's) fell by the wayside. Though I'm making some good strides in the work space that works department, along with the structured vs. unstructured time, some days, prime time simply doesn't last long enough.

Next week will be better. Right?

Lately, writing has been more challenging for me than usual. A combination of life changes (an all-too-sudden re-emptied nest) and work obligations have put both concentration and time at a premium. I'm finding this especially frustrating in a semester where, on paper, I was supposed to have fewer work obligations than usual.

So much for the best-laid plans.

Tonight, as I sit here trying to craft a blog post much too late in the evening, I find myself thinking about my writer's wish list (and not for the first time). Writing is easiest when I have...

Time. Not just any time -- prime time. That time of day when the brain is at its peak and thoughts flow easily instead of having to be jump-started every thirty seconds. 

An open schedule. To be honest, this is both good and bad. Too much time makes procrastination a real possibility. Too little time and it's easy to give up when the going gets tough. But when time feels expansive, creativity is more likely to follow.

A clear head. Lately, I've had so much going on that even when I get to my writing at a decent time of day, I find it hard to focus. When I take a few minutes to re-focus, things go much more smoothly.

Cool supplies. There's nothing like the perfect notebook or a just-right pen to provide just the right touch of inspiration.

A work space that works. Not too cluttered, not too noisy and not too distracting. Just right.

The perfect project. Currently, I have multiple projects going. I'm a mood-driven writer, so it's nice to be able to choose the one that seems just right for the time and mental space I have available.

Very few writers have the perfect set-up on a regular basis, especially if "writer" is only one of the hats they wear. But, oh, on those days when it all comes together....

...there are so many possibilities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment