Friday, March 24, 2023

Friday Feature: Take a Break


 The older I get, the more I value breaks. I don't mean vacations (although those are wonderful), but rather simple breaks during the day that allow me to recharge and relax my brain.

I'm not sure that relaxing the brain is a real thing -- in fact, I'm pretty sure it's not -- but a good break can leave me feeling as though I've done just that. The break can be fun (a book, a puzzle, a silly iPad game) or productive in its own right (washing dishes, moving laundry from the washer to the dryer, clearing clutter from a surface). It just has to be noticeably different from the thing I'm doing.

Or supposed to be doing.

Breaks are brain broadeners. When we allow ourselves to step away and just be, we often return to what we're doing not only recharged but with answers to tricky questions or even brand new ideas. It's as though we've let fresh air and sunshine in, blowing away the exhaustion and frustration we can feel after spending too long hyperfocusing on one task. 

Want a second opinion? Check out this article in the New York Times.

Go ahead. Take a break. You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment