Wednesday, December 16, 2020

A Fond Farewell


The final book in the MAC (Marita, Angel, Charli) series is finished, except for the final polishes (yes, there are several) and it is -- dare I say it? -- on track for a January release.

Yes, yes, I know you've heard this before and I'm as tired of saying it and not delivering as you are of hearing it and not reading. But this time, I have all of the magic ingredients in hand -- a thorough copyedit from a trusted editor, time off from teaching, and no other books competing for a publication date. Sure, there are other projects vying for my attention -- there always are, and I'd be nervous if that weren't the case -- but this one is at the top of the pile, the list, and the general to-do list that includes everything else in my life in addition to my writing. 

Still, it's bittersweet. I know these characters better than I know some people, and I’ll be sorry to say goodbye. My mind whirs with possible encounters. Maybe the characters for my next novel will move onto Marita's street, or next door to Angel, or be in a play with Bets. In fact, I can imagine one character-under-construction being quite at home with Marita’s mother and Nora Michaels. Maybe one of them will pop up for a cameo in another novel. At the very least, Marita and friends are likely to turn up here to commandeer a blog post now and again. Just because I've typed "The End" that does not mean they'll stop trying to boss me around.

So, as it turns out, maybe it's not goodbye after all. More like a "see you around."

And, in the case of the final book, see you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment