Monday, April 20, 2020

Five Quotes and a Contradiction

The view from my desk chair.
Like many writers, teachers and other office dwellers who are not thoroughly enamored of the totally clean desk club I have decorated my office with objects and quotes I find amusing and/or inspiring. Themes emerge (chocolate! NJ!), along with contradictions and a touch of inspiration for everything from the project at hand to a topic for a blog post. Here are a few that I'm finding particularly apt today.

"Persist." (ElizabethWarren.com bumper sticker) and "STOP procrastinating." The former sits atop a cork board over my desk. The latter, cut out from a wall calendar (2018, I think) is attached to a file bin on the top shelf of my bookcase. If I look away from the former, I'm bound to be nudged by the latter.

"A goal is a dream with a deadline." (Napoleon Hill) This one, clipped from an issue of The Pennwriteractually does fit quite well with the pair above. Plus, it has the added bonus of reminding me of a former student, an avid fan of Napoleon Hill.

"If at first you do succeed try not to look astonished." I think I bought this in one of my favorite little stores at the beach. Pretty much says it all.

Running late is my cardio. So much Lisa wrapped up into one little hanging plaque, purchased for less than $5 at Marshall's.

"If I don't want to you can't make me...I'm retired!" ironically paired with "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13) Yes. The second one is directly in front of the first one, something I noticed for the first time as I was scanning the room, looking for inspiration.

There are plenty more where these came from (this is merely Exhibit A). Sometimes, they blend into the walls, other times, one catches my eye, reminding of why I put it there in the first place. Most, but not all, have an origin story -- where I purchased (or read) it, who it reminds me of, when it was particularly significant and/or why (besides the obvious reasons) I not only kept it, but found it a special place in my office.

dweedon via Pixabay
I've been spending a lot of time in here over the past month; it's been my home base for online teaching, Zoom meetings and grading. The more time I spend here, the more I appreciate the little touches that personalize this space, putting the "home" in home office. I could do with a little less clutter on the counter behind me, a desire that nudges me to dig in a bit from time to time between tasks but, overall, it's nice to be working in a place that makes me smile, and maybe even offers a bit of inspiration.

What's inspiring you these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment