Friday, June 7, 2024

Dressing My Characters


 Two days ago, I finished the first stage of the full revision of my latest novel. There is still polishing to do, but I'm inching closer and closer to getting ready to send it out, getting to know my characters better and better at each stage of the process.

For the most part, I don't launch into lengthy descriptions of my characters' outfits and wardrobes in my books. But that doesn't mean I don't have an idea of what they will and won't wear. In the past, I've done Pinterest boards with ideas for my characters' clothing, along with the occasional (okay, rare) post here. 

For this book, I took the process offline, pasting outfits to large pieces of paper to create a visual that inspired me to consider my characters from the outside in. It was a lot of fun.

The creative process is rarely linear, and is often influenced by a wide variety of factors. Some of these are surprising, and can even seem silly. But, as long as they spark new ideas or inspire a deeper understanding of something I'm working on, I have no intention of abandoning them.

No comments:

Post a Comment