Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Dishing with Marita and Friends (A Blogiversary Post)


 One of my favorite things to do is to put my characters on the porch swing and let them talk. Here's a post from 2019, featuring key cast members from the MAC books (Casting the First Stone, Chasing a Second Chance and Courting Peace). Credit for the first three questions goes to Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project (and the page-a-day calendar I had back then). Anything else that arises is just life on the porch swing. :-)

Would you rather visit a gourmet grocery store or a nice office supply store?

Angel: Oh, definitely the gourmet grocery store!
Charli: Does the grocery store have ice cream?
Bets: Groceries? Office supplies? Ugh. Shoes!! (shakes her head and guffaws) Groceries.
Marita: Well, as long as we're not following the directions, I'll just go to the mall!
Angel: First question and we're already making up our own rules?
Bets: Angel, we have met, have we not?

Do you wake up naturally most mornings or are you awakened by an alarm?

Charli: (groans) Alarm.
Marita: Mine goes off before yours.
Bets: Depends on whether or not I'm temping that day. See, Angel. I can follow the rules. Sometimes.
Charli: When she wants to.
Bets: You got that right, kiddo.
Angel: I'm awakened by an alarm named Spencer. Luckily, she's cute.

If you could take an all-expense-paid trip to any city in the world, where would you go?

Marita: Paris.
Charli: Someplace I could try out my Spanish....Spain.
Bets: London. Or maybe I'd stay closer to home and pick New Orleans. I've always wanted to go to Mardi Gras.
Angel: Somewhere in Hawaii. I'd like to see the Pacific Ocean. But I'd rather take a cruise. I don't really like to fly.

Charli: Hey! Let's play "Would you rather?" I'll start. Would you rather travel by plane, train, car or cruise ship? I pick cruise ship.
Marita: Me too. Though planes are okay, too.
Bets: I'd take a plane to get to my cruise ship.
Angel: (laughs) Trains, cruise ships and cars for me, please.

Bets: Okay, I've got a question. And you can't say "both."
Would you rather marry for love or money?

Charli: Love.
Angel: Love.
Marita: Love. But it wouldn't hurt if he had money.
Bets: Do you perhaps have someone in mind?
Marita: No, but I do have a question.
A big, inexpensive wardrobe or a few key, expensive pieces?

Bets: That one is actually hard. I like a lot of clothes, but I could also get by on a few really good things. (She thinks for another moment). A few expensive pieces.
Charli: Me too. Then again, I can live in jeans and tee shirts.
Angel: A big wardrobe. And a walk-in closet.
Marita: Me too. I like choices.

Angel: I have one.
Read the book first or watch the movie first?

Bets: Do I have to read the book at all? Movie!
Marita: Movie.
Charli: Book first. Angel?
Angel: Book first.

Bets (stands): Okay, everyone I'm getting drinks!
Strawberry daiquiri or iced tea?

Charli: (slumps) Like I have a choice.
Bets: One of these days, kiddo.
Angel: Tea for me, please.
Marita: What do you think?
Bets: Be right back. And if anyone out there in cyberspace has any questions, send 'em our way!


Or, if you'd like to enter to win a copy of Chasing a Second Chance, email me at jerseywriter@yahoo.com with "Blogiversary Giveaway" in the subject line, and Chasing a Second Chance in the body of the email. One entry per person, please, limited to the contiguous United States for paperbacks. Deadline to enter is Saturday, June 3 at 12PM EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment