Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Transition Day (With No Dearth of Media References)

RosZie via Pixabay

  Yesterday, I turned in the last of my fall semester grades and I was excited to get started on the various pursuits I've been wanting to get around to.

Today, nothing on my list is the least bit appealing, all of it feels overwhelming, and I'm out of sorts. I'm not depressed or ill, for which I am immensely grateful.

Just unmotivated.

How did I manage to drain my motivation entirely in less than 24-hours? 'Tis the season, I suppose.

Or maybe not. Last night, my husband and I were watching the episode of The Big Bang Theory where Howard and Bernadette contemplate stepping back from their jobs and staying home with the kids. In the midst of this exchange, Bernadette says, "...I don't want to have to, but if I want to, I should get to."

Yeah. That. So much so that I turned to my husband and commented and said "That makes perfect sense."

And here I am.

There's something shiny and tempting about things that are out of reach, whether they are possessions, promotions, or simple tasks we don't have time for at the moment but can't wait to get to when we do.

Allegedly. Because here I sit with the time I longed for, trapped in the mental equivalent of "Really? Do I have to?"

Mama said there'll be days like this. And she was right. And the one I'm trapped in now could be captioned "Semester Hangover." I still have a few small administrative tasks to polish off (so why don't I just do that?), but with the whole morning open I should write (I don't wanna. I don't know what to write. Which project should I work on?). Or, I could do Christmas stuff (maybe later). Or finish up that organizing project I started on yesterday (but I really should write).

Ah. Should. Therein lies the problem. I'm shoulding myself. And I should know better.

What I do know is that this will sort itself out. At most, it will cost me a day of pouting and grumbling. At best, I'll step away, putter for a bit and, before I know it, find myself immersed in something or other that is most likely on the list I am avoiding.

You know how the rom coms talk about transition relationships? (Or at least that's a thing in my favorite movie, When Harry Met Sally). Today is my transition day. And I can't expect it to be anything more, which means that anything more is just icing on the cake.

I will get something done. It just might not be the something I planned. And, some days, that's okay.

But before I do, I'm going to take about three minutes to listen to a clip from one of my favorite episodes of The Big Bang Theory, the one where Howard writes a song to sing to Bernadette on the anniversary of their first date. It turned up when I searched for the line from last night's episode, and it gets me every time. (Fun fact: it was written by two actresses who guest starred on the show -- on different episodes).

Happy Wednesday -- whatever you're doing.

Or avoiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment