Tuesday, October 25, 2022

V is for Various Pursuits


 I have always liked being busy. I was a well-rounded student before I knew I was supposed to be, not because I was strategic, but because I had so many interests.

This remained true into adulthood. And, when life handed me transitions or heartbreak, my activities were my therapy. The tougher life got, the busier I got. 

Many of the things I enjoyed doing when I was younger still make the cut. But, the older I get, the more I prize balance over busy. 

The pandemic definitely played a role in this. For one, it made some of the things I enjoy (theatre, for example) unavailable, at least for a time. 

An even bigger force during our enforced time indoors, however, was that I became more aware than ever of the introverted side of my ambivert nature. I like quiet and, as someone who lived alone for most of her twenties, I am comfortable with solitude. I'm also much more of an indoor person than an outdoor person, preferring pursuits like reading, music, and writing to rugby, marathons, or wiffleball.

And so, with all of the time indoors, my chosen activities expanded to fill the time I had available, while others from the backlist took a front seat. Some that were edged out will, I hope, return when the circumstances are right. Others may not be resurrected until I finally retire for real.

For now, my love of learning keeps the work/play line blurry and, when paired with activities (like writing), which expand to fill the time available, my days remain full. While I love the occasional day spent doing "nothing," I still love variety, and most days are jam-packed.

I guess that makes me well-rounded. 

No comments:

Post a Comment