Thursday, July 1, 2021

Back on the Porch Swing with Marita, Angel, Charli and Bets

Created with Canva

As promised, I've invited my characters back to the porch swing, but it was too hot for them yesterday. Today, after a rainstorm, it's cool and dry and they're ready to chat -- so much so, that I put them in charge of the questions (I never know where these discussions will end up anyway). Bets has offered to go first :-)

Bets: If you could go back and do one thing in your life differently, what would it be?

Charli: I wouldn't have broken up with Todd. Mom, how about you?

Marita (laughs): That means she doesn't want us to ask her for further details. Hmm...one thing. And everything else in my life would be the same?

Bets: If that's how you want it.

Marita: Okay. I would have gone to college.

Angel: Me too.

Charli (looks from her mother to her stepmother): Neither of you...?

Marita and Angel shake their heads.

Charlie: I never realized that. 'Course I guess it's kinda my fault that you didn't go, Mom.

Marita: No, it's not. I never really loved school, and I'd had enough of it by the time I was 16. I wouldn't have appreciated college then. Now, I realize how many doors it could have opened for me.

Charlie: If not for me. 

Bets: C'mon, Char. You heard her. She wanted everything else in her life to be the same.

Charlie: Did you go to college, Bets? 

Bets: One semester of community college. I wasn't exactly a stellar student and my parents didn't want to lay out the money for me to go away to college. That was the experience I wanted, though, so I kind of tanked. I didn't exactly try.

Marita (guffaws): That's one way of putting it.

Charlie: What -- ?

Bets (mimes zipping her lip): I plead the fifth.

Nietjuh via Pixabay

Charlie: You could still go, Mom.

Marita: I might. But you definitely will. There will be no negotiating.

Angel: I agree.

Charlie: How come you didn't go to college, Angel? Didn't you like school either?

Angel: Oh, no. I loved school! But I didn't know what I wanted to go to college for, and it seemed a lot to ask of my dad to send me to school when I didn't know what I wanted to study. So, I decided to work for a while until I made up my mind. And then, I met your dad.

Marita: If you could go now, what would you study?

Angel: Business. Or psychology. How about you?

Marita: I really do like my job, so probably something in law. But I don't want to be a lawyer. Maybe a paralegal. Bets?

Bets: I'd get a degree in theatre arts. Really, truly study acting and directing. 

Charlie: So, what's stopping all of you? And why do I have to go if you all didn't?

Marita: Let me take those in reverse order. I want you to have the experience. And college opens doors. Now, that said, if you had a different plan -- you really wanted to be a carpenter or a welder -- 

Charlie: A welder, Mom?

Marita: Whatever. If you wanted to go to school for something that didn't require college, I'd be open to discussing that. But I want you to be ready for wherever life could take you.

Charlie: So, what's stopping all of you from going now?

Angel: I've always wanted to be a mom. There's no career I want more than that.

Bets: I'm too old.

Marita: Bets!

Bets: No, seriously, Ri-Ri. Can you imagine me competing with all those college girls for parts? I want to be the ingenue, not someone's mother. Besides, Char, school is kind of a habit. Once you get out if it, it's hard to start it up again. It's easier to just go straight through. Or, at least I think it would have been.

Charli: Mom?

Marita: I've actually been thinking about it.

Bets: You...What brought this on?

Marita: I've been reading online about how the pandemic has shaken up the job market. How a lot of women have left and might not return, and how many people are considering changing jobs. I guess it got me thinking.

Angel: Wow! Marita, that's so -- 

Charlie: Cool!

Marita: Do you really think so? I mean, Bets is right. It takes a lot of discipline to do the work. Especially when I already have a job.

Charlie: So quit!

Marita (laughs): Oh, Char! It's not that easy. Besides, I want to make sure I don't stop saving for your education. 

Angel: Well, you certainly won't have to do that on your own. Jim and I will contribute to Charli's college.

Bets: And I'm sure Rosemarie and the Judge will send some cash your way, wrapped up in a nice, neat little bow of opinions and ultimatums. (clears her throat) Sorry, Charlie.

Charlie (laughs): That sounds about right. Just don't tell them I said that. And, Mom, I don't want to be the reason you don't go back to school. That's not fair.

Marita: You're right. But it's not you, it's me. I'm your mom. I want to make sure I invest in you and your future. But I'll also take money from your father without blinking an eye!

Created with Canva
Bets: As you should.

Angel: No argument here.

Bets: Ri-Ri, are you serious about this?

Marita: Well, I've looked into some online programs...

Bets: You are! Is tuition reimbursement part of your contract?

Marita: Yes, but how did you --

Bets: Temp job as a high school secretary. So, when do you start?

Marita: Wait! I'm not --

Bets: Wait for what?

Charlie: Yeah, Mom. What are you waiting for?

Angel: Well, this conversation certainly took an interesting turn.

Bets (grins): It sure did. And it all started with my question.





No comments:

Post a Comment