Monday, June 7, 2021

A Lot of Writing with a Dash of Socializing

cromaconceptovisual via Pixabay

Now that I'm halfway through my summer class, I'm starting to lay the groundwork for summer, and I'm determined that writing will take center stage -- once my summer class is over. Toward that end, I enrolled in another virtual writing retreat through the college where I teach. I almost didn't sign up because I'm teaching a summer class and I couldn't imagine how I'd establish any sort of balance, but then I remembered a few things.

I promised myself last spring that I'd work on my work/life balance--and publicly promising to do something that's not work is a step in that direction. 

Last summer's virtual retreat was not only great fun and a chance to connect with other people who teach where I do, but I got a LOT done, which kick-started my summer writing.

I can take advantage of the flexible nature of the set-up and, in keeping with #7 on my 20 in 2021 ("Prize my time and my right to say 'maybe,' 'I can't right now," and even 'no.'"), I can opt out of sessions if I need to, guilt-free.

I can baby step my way back into socializing by hanging out a few times a day with some colleagues, even if it is over Zoom.

And, finally, if my goal is to fit both writing and teaching back into my schedule on a regular basis, what better way to practice?

So, I signed up. Last year at this time, I had a pile of projects and, each day, I'd choose the one that spoke to me. If I got tired of it, there was another within arm's reach. No excuses. No wasted time. 

This year, I was both more and less organized. I still have a pile of projects and, since I know where they are, I didn't do a lot of pre-planning. Okay, I also didn't do a lot of pre-planning because I didn't have time but, I have been thinking about where I want to put my focus and, last night, I finalized today's schedule.

Still, my biggest goal has less to do with checking things off my project list and more to do with just getting back into the writing habit. To paraphrase Bachman Turner Overdrive, any writing is good writing. Using two chunks of my day for writing (because that's what the schedule says, and we check in and check up on each other) is not only an excellent use of my time, but a way to build my writing muscles so I keep flexing them for the rest of the summer. And the accountability built into a writing retreat, virtual or otherwise, means I do a better job of actually sitting down and doing the work instead of hitting the snooze button again or letting other tasks take priority.

taniarose via Pixabay
For any writer who has a "real job," this struggle is ongoing. In fact, I have to look no further than the
other folks in my virtual session for affirmation that, when the teaching gets tough, even the tough stop writing. 

So, write we shall this week, in an endeavor to remind ourselves what it feels like to give ourselves to our writing and why it matters so very, very much.

Today's morning task? Blowing the dust off a novel that needs a(nother) revision. And, since an hour and half of revising is, to me, an onerous task, this afternoon brings blogging and perhaps a bit of research that will move some other projects forward.  

I'm looking forward to a very excellent week, filled with writing and conversations with other educator-writers. And, if today is any indication, it will be a productive week as well. And the grading will get put into the schedule...somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment