Wednesday, June 2, 2021

20 in 2021, Part 2

geralt via Pixabay

I'm one of those odd ducks who likes setting goals. Every month, I sit down and review the goals I set for the previous month and create a new set. Sometimes, I accomplish a lot; other times, my goals are overzealous. I've come to the conclusion that taking stock and setting priorities matter more than whether or not I check every box. 

So, today, on the second day of the sixth month of the year -- just ahead of the halfway point of 2021 -- I thought I'd take a look at what I was thinking in January. Back before vaccines and a second semester of hybrid teaching. Back when I was wiping down every surface and accessorizing every outfit with a mask. Some things have changed and others have not which, I suspect, is what I'll find when I re-evaluate my 20 for 2021.

There's only one way to find out. Here's what I was thinking coming into this year.

1. Move more (a definite response to all the sitting in 2020).

2. Be mindful.

3. Don't judge downtime, but don't waste it either.

4. Declutter.

5. Create spaces I want to spend time in.

6. Read for fun, not just for work.

7. Prize my time and my right to say "maybe," "I can't right now," and even "no."

8. Give people space to do things for themselves.

9. Speak my mind, but don't forget to be kind.

10. Use less plastic and paper.

11. Find the balance between routine and flexibility.

12. Be grateful often.

13. Meditate more.

14. Define my (professional) brand and stay true to it.

15. Live on the plateau sometimes.

16. Be optimistic. 

17. Recognize effort and say thank you.

18. Make time for creative pursuits beyond my writing.

19. Keep up with Duolingo.

20. Stop caring what other people think. They're probably not watching anyway.

Overall, I've been pretty successful. 

My Duolingo streaks (#19) have gotten broken and restarted a few times, but I'm closing on a year of using the program several times a week, still juggling French, Spanish and German (in that order). 

Teaching a positive psychology class in the spring has nudged me to put #2, #13 and #16 into practice. (#13 needs more work, though). 

A graphic design course with Coursera and some new social media and blog graphics created with Canva have rounded out the sketchnoting that inspired #18. And, an assignment submitted by a summer class student got me working on creating a website, something I haven't had in a long time. These things, combined with some reading, are moving me in the direction of #14.

I realized sometime in a April that #6 needed some serious attention, so I started a reading journal, logging the reading I did every day. Turns out it was just the guilt-inducing nudge I needed.

#17 is pretty easy, and I'm getting better at #8 and #11. And, we met with a contractor to seriously make #5 happen. And #4, as always, is a work in progress.

Of everything on the list, #1 and #11 are the most challenging. One thing that, ironically, seems to have gotten crushed in the pandemic is my ability to slow down and savor down time. I think that with practice #11 will improve and bring #1 along with it.

How about you? Do your goals look like mine? Do you know where you want to go? Sometimes, writing it down -- whether to share or to keep to yourself -- can be the first step on the road to getting there. And this year, when we need a restart more than ever before, might be a great time to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment