Friday, May 28, 2021

Friday Feature: Pass the...Cicadas?

As a suburban girl, I don't think of insects as news. But, when an insect makes an appearance only once every seventeen years, I suppose that's the very definition of news.

So, I'm not surprised when I read news articles sharing information on cicadas, speculating on the date of their arrival, or advising that we avoid the use of insecticides since they'll be gone soon and, while they're here, they serve a useful purpose.

I am, however, surprised when they make it to the food page. But, there they were on the news the other night: chocolate cicadas. Then, in my inbox. There's even a cookbook.

But it's not one I'll be using.

You can call them "shrimp of the land" all you want. I'm a Jersey girl. People inside, bugs outside.

And never on the dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment