Tuesday, April 20, 2021

A Day Late and an Outfit Short

steve_a_johnson via Pixabay

With the switch to hybrid instruction, I've been having difficulty finding consistent writing time. But last weekend, I carved out a slice of time to do just that. I was very excited about all the possibilities, so I made sure to take a few minutes to determine exactly how I wanted to spend this time, eventually deciding to work on a new-ish project, a novel with a protagonist who's been rattling around in my head for a couple of years. I have a reasonably good idea of who she is, and I wanted to begin writing her story.

I've been struggling with where to start, so I decided to just jump in with a scene I know will be part of the story. As I prepared her for her adventure, I wanted her to get dressed in a manner that would tell the reader something about who she is.

Only I didn't know what she'd wear.

I fought the urge to to stop writing and go to Pinterest to find her an outfit, but it was hard. This seems like a small thing, but after nearly a decade spent with Marita, Angel, Bets and Charli, I can dress any of them in an instant. I not only know how Marita and Angel's outfits differ from one another (that's easy), but also what Bets would wear, but Marita wouldn't and what Anna would wear but Charli wouldn't.

But this woman? I'd crafted her insides -- her pain, her fears, her determination -- but I couldn't decide on the appearance she'd present to the world and, therefore, my readers. I've been writing the same characters for so long that it's like I've moved into a new, unfamiliar neighborhood. It's really nice and kind of upscale and I'm sure I'll like it once I get used to it but, right now, I don't know where anything is. 

Luckily, all that is part of the fun, though it did knock me for a loop momentarily. I kept writing, leaving her clothing choice for later and, that night, with her destination in mind, I spent some time on Pinterest. Knowing her from the inside out made it easy for me to fill her fictional closet and, when I sit down to write about her next time, I'll have a better idea of what she'll select. And she will select it because nothing about this woman is haphazard.

Which is what she was trying to tell me on Saturday. 

Characters. Bossy from the outset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment