Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday Freebie: Night Owl Reform?

Pixabay
A blogger whose work I respect has begun running a series on productivity. Curious, I signed up, wanting to read the information he'd compiled and created on this topic.

This morning, I got his first post, the one about becoming a morning person. Immediately, I began forming my rebuttal, words like circadian rhythms and nature vs. nurture swirling around in my head.

So, I did a Google search on the biology behind being a morning person. As it turns out, nature plays a key role after all -- there's actually a genetic basis for our early morning or late night preferences.

But, as I often tell my students, it's rarely nature OR nurture, but instead usually nature AND nurture. And, while I disagree with the blogger/productivity person's methodology when it comes to shifting my biological clock to that of an early riser, this article tells the tale of an interesting conversion.

Still, I'm not sure I want to be converted. I enjoy the quiet solitude of late night at my house, just as my husband enjoys the quiet solitude of early morning.

I guess it's always nice to know I have options.

No comments:

Post a Comment