Saturday, December 14, 2013

Saturday Special: The Countdown Begins

Insert "Lawmaster" here...   
Earlier this week, I discovered that my book is available for preorder on Amazon. Yesterday, I got to see mock-ups of the cover, which we're still working on. After years of writing, editing, submitting, more editing, building a platform, more editing, finding an agent, more editing, opting to go without an agent....it's really going to happen!

Publishing a novel is a unique experience. I've been through the publishing process before -- with nonfiction books in the education market -- and it was much simpler. The manuscript was easier to write and easier to sell, but if I was unhappy with cover art or format, that was just too bad. These were editorial decisions, no authors allowed.

But, that was more than a decade ago.

This time, I'm working with a small publisher (not in the educational market) and a lot is in my lap. The options for authors are much broader, but in return, we're expected to play a bigger role in the promotional process. It's both exhausting and exhilarating, but I like having some control over what my cover looks like. I also like having a hand in promoting my book (though, if you read my last post, you know I wouldn't be disappointed to do a little less of that).

And that's what these Saturday posts will be about. If you're looking for news about my book, you can find it here on Saturdays. You can also find it on my Facebook author page, and, once I begin visiting other blogs, there may be an occasional weekday announcement as well if the date for a visit pops up unexpectedly.

It's going to be a busy month (43 days, to be precise). I've set up a lot of fun things in the last week, and look forward to getting a few more into place, including some book signings and real world launch parties. For now, mark your calendars for a Facebook Book Launch party (with prizes) on January 27 from 4-8. Stay tuned for details.



No comments:

Post a Comment