Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Redefining the Shameless Art of Self-Promotion

http://www.grovesnurseries.co.uk
I am by no means a shrinking violet, but this book promo stuff...well, let's just say it's a challenge.

Let me get the obvious out of the way immediately. I am blessed. Having to promote a book is a very, very good "problem" to have. But those visions that non-writers (and some writers, too) have of signing a contract, making a million and having the publishing company promote your book all over town?

More fiction than the novel itself.

So, please, don't consider this blog post a complaint. Consider it a public service announcement.

My book comes out in a month and a half. Everyone will be able to read it! I am over the moon!

And I am terrified.

www.kveller.com
Everyone will be able to read it. Some people will like it, some will hate it. Others will say, "I thought she'd be a much better writer than that," a statement that will be tempered, in part, by my mother, who will brandish copies everywhere she goes, telling everyone who will listen all about it.

I love my mother. And I wish I had her lack of inhibition when it comes to bragging about me.

In a way, I do. It's part and parcel of motherhood. I'm more than happy to tell everyone who will listen how wonderful my daughter is. It's just a lot harder doing the same thing about me.

You see, I like having friends. And maybe I'm misinformed, but I think I'm more likely to keep my friends if I don't regale them with constant stories of how wonderful I am. That's what Facebook is for -- it's a place where people can scroll right past timelines that are a constant stream of self-promotion.

Therein lies the problem. That's what I do when someone over promotes -- I scroll on by. And I much prefer being the scroller to being the scrollee.

But, my publisher tells me, if you don't promote, you don't sell.

Sigh....

So, in what my friends and family recognize as typical fashion, I am trying to find another way. Okay, okay...my way.

You will hear about this book here and on my Facebook author page because I promised my publisher I would do that. You will not hear about this book here or on my Facebook page every single day. I just can't bring myself to do it.

Photograph: guardian.co.uk

I will keep you posted on what's happening. I'll let you know where you can find interviews, where you can give me your two cents about book cover prospects and where you can read snippets of the novel. I will do this, in no small part, because other writers have been kind enough to invite me to (or agree to host me on) their sites, and I'd love it if you'd come check them out.

And if you want to read about those things, I'm thrilled.

And if you don't, please come back again another day for some different content.

Because although this book is occupying a large portion of the center of my universe, I recognize it doesn't hold the same place of honor in yours.

If you like what you read, please comment and let me know. And if you don't, the invitation still stands -- just please be gentle.

We artists can have fragile egos.

1 comment:

  1. It really makes a difference when you self-promote your books. It can be a bit tricky, since you would be the one who will reach out to your readers. However, you don’t have to overdo it. Just a simple announcement post about your upcoming novel will do to inform your readers, and answering questions that doesn't spoil the content for everyone would be a good start.

    Julius Horton @ Polkadot PR

    ReplyDelete