Friday, November 20, 2020

Friday Feature: The Alexander Technique

Several years ago, when I was having trouble with my voice, a friend who's a music teacher suggested I look for someone trained in the Alexander Technique. Although the voice teacher I found (and love) discussed posture, we didn't work on the Alexander Technique per se. In fact, I hadn't thought about it at all until a newsletter from Next Avenue popped into my inbox with the Alexander Technique in its subject line.

In reading the article, I was fascinated to learn just how many things this approach is helpful for. A semester and a half of teaching from a desk chair has given me a whole new interest in this technique, only now I wan to know how it can help alleviate the aches and pains from too much sitting.

The older I get, the more I believe I am where I'm supposed to be and that things cross my radar for a reason. I miss my voice lessons (not recommended due to too much exhaled air in too small a space), but I miss my voice teacher even more. The article was an interesting read but, maybe it's something more as well. I think maybe I'll reach out and share the article, and see if Sarah would like to Zoom. Luckily COVID puts no restrictions on friendship.

Breathe easy, friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment