|geralt via Pixabay|
Often, before class starts, I can't help but overhear snippets of my students' conversations. There are plenty of private discussions that are quieter, or texted in silence, but there are always a few, usually involving a group of students, where they feel no need for discretion.
Before class today, a reply from one of my girls to another, more discreet than the group chat taking place in front of me, floated through the air, out of context. "College is a crazy place, y'know," she said.
The comment, plus the light tone in which it was delivered made me smile and it left a lot to the imagination, so I started brainstorming potential lead-ins. What made college so crazy? What was Girl #2 responding to?
- Girl #1: "I have something due every day this week."
- Girl #1: "I just saw three people with purple hair."
- Girl #1: "There are suds in the fountain." (There really were!)
- Girl #1: "They're serving cotton candy in the quad." (They weren't)
- Girl #1: "There's a goat yoga class tonight at sunset."
- Girl #1: "Three guys walked into my psych class, dressed in drag."
- Girl #1: "My history professor is going to be on 'America's Got Talent.'"
- Girl #1: "My RA's gonna to be a contestant on 'The Bachelor'."
- Girl #1: "My next door neighbors were playing loud music until 2AM."
- Girl #1: "Professor Hess promised to serenade us today." (She did not)