Monday, November 23, 2020

A Few (More) of My Favorite Things

IO Images via Pixabay

Last week, I began sharing a few of my favorite things and the places you can find them. Although I'm not ready for Christmas music or Christmas decorations just yet, I've already begun my Christmas shopping. This year, I'm making a concerted effort to think before I spend and to actually choose my vendors, buying from individuals and small businesses whenever I can. In some cases, this means allowing extra time for shipping, especially with COVID restrictions in place. Alternatively, I can staying local.

This week, I'm featuring another bookstore (of course) that's local to me, and two websites where I've gotten fun, unusual gifts in the past. 

My daughter found Winding Way Books when she and a friend were wandering around downtown Lancaster (PA). When I told her I was featuring small and local businesses on my blog, she immediately went in search of their flyer to share with me. Located at 118 W. Chestnut Street, one flight up from its previous location, Winding Way Books sells both new and used books, fiction and non-fiction. I haven't been there but, as I said, my young adult daughter was impressed enough to make sure she got their information into my hands.

While scrolling on Facebook last night, I came across a post (from a group I trust) about gifts for college students at Uncommon Goods. I've purchased, well, uncommon goods from them before and I ended up doing a little online shopping again late last night. Want to make sure you're shopping small? Check out the Small Business section of the site.

I've also found some really cool stuff on The Grommet, another online small business cooperative. Sometimes, it's just fun to browse and see how creative people are! 

I want to close this week with something a bit self-serving. A friend and writing colleague of mine had the idea to do a holiday bazaar on Facebook. I'm posting my books there (so far, only Know Thyself is listed, but I'm working on it), but you'll find more than books to browse. We've just gotten started, so check back from time to time to see what's new.

How about you? How's your Christmas shopping coming? I've made a strong start, but I still have a ways to go.



No comments:

Post a Comment