Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Simple Pleasures

jussiak via Pixabay
The other night, as I was getting ready for bed, something small made me smile. I don't remember if it was the clean towels my daughter had folded and put away or the sweet-smelling hand soap I'd finally found online, allowing me to replace the industrial-smelling stuff I'd bought in a pinch. Whatever it was, it was a small thing and it got me to thinking.

Small things can be the tipping point. They can be bitter or sweet -- the proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, or the cherry on top of the sundae (or whipped cream if you're not a fan of maraschino cherries). We tend not to notice them when they add value but, when they knock us off course, they're all we can think about.

Today's post is about the former, not the latter. Whatever that thing was that got me started the other night (I think it was the towels), it triggered a flood of little things that make me smile. Here, in no particular, are a few of my favorite things. 
  • Charged devices
  • Sharpened pencils
  • The little notes my husband leaves for me to find when I come downstairs after he's gone to work
  • Blank notebooks
  • Clear space
  • The white lights in my office
    weinstock via Pixabay
  • Emails from friends
  • My vanilla soy candle
  • Cloth napkins
  • Clean clothes
  • My bedside clock with the great big numbers
  • The right pen or marker
  • A new book
  • Everyone sleeping peacefully under the same roof.

I'm sure I could keep going, but you get the idea. 

What little thing will make your day today?

No comments:

Post a Comment