Monday, July 20, 2020

Closing in on the Finish Line

Today, I will finish integrating the copy edits into my book.

Ahem. Let me try that again. 

Today, I WILL finish integrating the copy edits into my book.

I'm the global sister and my sister is the detail-oriented sister. A writer and a copyeditor, she's the last person who sees my novels before they make the leap from manuscript to published book. She returned her edits to me in early March, back when life was normal, and I've been chipping away at them. Spring semester didn't allow me much time for writing but I've managed an on again/off again relationship with the pages ranging from a chapter a day to an hour a day to when's-the-last-time-I-looked-at-this binges capped off by forays into word choice and commas on the screened-in porch at the beach. 

And now I am down to the last sixteen pages. And I WILL finish them today!

After that, it's the details. A word here and there, a final read-through where I might use one of the few features on Word that I actually like (the read aloud option)....

I'm not going to promise you a release date because, as I said to my sister yesterday, I've set (and missed) two arbitrary deadlines already. Just as my characters took over the plot, the book itself is now determining its release date and I've succumbed to its "it will be ready when it's ready" attitude.

But it's close. 

In the meantime, you can hear the surprise that kicks off the book, and listen to the first section (narrated by Marita) on my Facebook page and, when I have a release date, you can read about it here -- and there -- as well.

So, if you'll excuse me, I have some copy edits to attend to. Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment