Friday, May 8, 2020

Friday Feature: Happiness, Productivity, and Technology

Lately, I've been reading a lot about happiness. I finished Shawn Achor's The Happiness Advantage and have now dug into his sister Amy Blankson's The Future of Happiness, in which she talks about balancing productivity and well-being. Much of Blankson's work is at the intersection of happiness and technology.

Today, I decided to look up some of her work outside the book I'm reading and I found an article she wrote last year for the National Day of Unplugging. (I didn't know there was such a thing!)

The National Day of Unplugging is the first Friday in March but really, except for the solidarity of not being alone without one's phone, couldn't it be any day?

Well, maybe not today, you're saying, because....

Yeah. Me too. While wrapping up my online classes might be a legitimate excuse not to unplug from my laptop, I could still unplug from my phone. Or my iPad. How much unplugging are we talking about here?

This is the kind of stuff Blankson writes about. She's not out to take your phone away -- in fact, she has a lot of good things to say about technology and all it has to offer, and she's upfront about liking it herself.

So, even though I might have spent a little too much time on the Hubspot Out of Office Email Generator -- or maybe, in part, because of that, I'm going to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment