Friday, May 17, 2019

Friday Feature: Why Hobbies Matter

I love to read and I love to write.

And I constantly struggle to find time to do both.

It's not as though I'm all work and no play. I find plenty of ways of wasting time, and simply by stopping that, I could probably solve my problem.

An article in the Harvard Business Review reassured me that I'm not alone. Author Gaetano Dinardi confessed to being guilty of falling into the same trap, but asserted that, by spending more time on his creative hobby, he boosted not only creativity but also confidence and perspective.

And those were tools that fed not just his leisure time but his work life as well.

As humans, we are meant to be complex -- to have depth and to be more than simply the sum of our parts. One of the ways we accomplish this is by integrating all the aspects of our lives, but we can't do that if we shut out the fun stuff in favor of 24/7 productivity.

And maybe turning off the television and rediscovering our passions is a good place to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment