Friday, June 26, 2009

Do Procrastination and Guilt Belong in a Writer's Toolbox? (Part 2)

I planned to write this blog this morning, but I seem to have...procrastinated. Actually, I got caught up in the events of the day, including finishing up several other writing projects, which meant this one got put on the back burner.

After yesterday's post, I got to thinking about why I procrastinate when I'm supposed to be writing. Here's what I came up with:

1. I don't feel like writing.
2. There are 10,000 other things I need to do.
3. There's something else I want to do.
4. I don't know what to write next.
5. I'm afraid what I wrote yesterday isn't really that good, and if I sit down and look at it, I could prove myself right.

#5 is a really sneaky one. It sometimes masquerades as the four excuses that precede it, and to their credit, numbers 1-4 make really good covers.

Unfortunately, the only way to do away with #5 is to confront it head on and show it who's boss. Worst case scenario? What I wrote yesterday really isn't good, and I have to rewrite. It's not as though that's something I can't do. Best case scenario? It's good. Really good. And it reminds me why I bother to do this writing thing that can be so torturous it causes me to procrastinate.

Which leads me to five good things about procrastination...tomorrow. Or maybe the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment