Monday, June 29, 2009

A Few Good Things About Procrastination

My daughter is on a Full House kick. As I attempt to write this, she's watching the Stephanie-is- the-middle-child episode, which is also the episode where Joey and Jesse help DJ with her science project. In the process, they come up with a solution to a problem of their own.

I'm not sure what it says about me that I find life truths in sitcoms, but this particular episode rang true for me. Stepping away from what we're supposed to be doing sometimes does lead us to solutions we've been struggling to find. Is that procrastination? Sometimes. But at other times, it's a necessary break.


The truth is, spending time on something besides what we're "supposed" to be doing relieves stress and frees our minds to wander, both of which often lead us to the very solutions we've been struggling to find. We aren't robots. We can't focus on the task at hand 24/7, especially when that task is a creative one.

Starting slowly, by doing other things before I write helps me to think. Sometimes, stepping away from the computer, even if just to toss in a load of laundry, unlocks my brain and releases the tension I feel when I sit at the computer not knowing what to write next. It also gives me space and a chance to move my body beyond swinging my leg and squirming in my seat.

So, I refuse to relinquish my procrastination. Instead, I'm going to strive for balance. Too much procrastination? Not a good thing. But I can say with certainty that too much focus and not enough fun make me a very cranky writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment