Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Cloudy Day

johnhain via Pixabay


 Did you ever have one of those days? One where you're just grumpy for no apparent reason? One where every little noise gets on your nerves, every question sets your teeth on edge, everything you have to do just seems like too much trouble?

Just me?

I had absolutely no reason to be a grouch today. I didn't have to work, so I could begin my day curled up with a good book in my sunroom, enjoying the view of leaves heavy with snow that would disappear within a few hours. 

And I did just that. 

I could be productive, tossing in laundry, grading quizzes, and (finally) writing a blog post.

And I was. 

Yet I couldn't shake the grouchies. All day long, they followed me around, They didn't even have the decency to linger above me like the toxic cloud they were. Instead, they took up residence somewhere just behind my eyes, coaxing a scowl I had to work hard to erase.

I am, by nature, a pretty upbeat person and so when a day like this hits, it feels like a double whammy. Not only do I feel cranky, but that crankiness feels so out of character that it upsets me even more. I analyze and obsess and tie myself in knots trying to get to the root of the problem, usually to no avail.

It's a waste of energy, really, because sometimes, there's no good reason -- or none that's immediately discernible, anyway -- for an out of sorts sort of day. This time next week, when this day is a decent distance behind me, it might make sense.

Or it might not.

Either way, overdoing the analysis is only making things worse and so I need to stop fighting the crabbiness, and just coexist with it for a few more hours, after which I will go to bed. When I wake up tomorrow, whatever this was will likely have passed, and it might even leave me in peace sooner if I stop paying so much attention to it.

Some days are sunshine, others are clouds. And I wish you many more of the former than the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment