Tuesday, August 8, 2023

Versatile


 It's August, and I'm versatile. I can write or prepare for classes or organize. 

Or at least that's the story I'm telling myself as I play games on my iPad and read my book instead of doing any of those things.

In all fairness, I've had a very productive summer, and I've been devoting a bit of time to class prep most days since we got back from vacation. But now, after being motivated to dig into various things all summer, I seem to have left my motivation at the beach. This week, I could easily sit in a chair in the sunroom and fill my hours with piles of things that aren't on my to-do list. 

My Jersey stubbornness is probably at least partly to blame. Tell me I have to do something and I immediately want to do something else. 

But the biggest factor at play here is my unwillingness to relinquish the freedom I enjoyed for the month of July. I got a lot of writing done in July, and quite a few other things as well. Time stretched out, yielding itself in long, promising stretches, unhampered by deadlines and commitments (what to leave in, what to leave out ;-)

I'm a grown-up and so, eventually, I settle in and get to it. But, no matter what "it" is, the work I'm doing feels insufficient ("I'll never get it all done!") or misdirected ("I should be doing something else!")

Sigh.

Such is the recipe of August. A half cup of this, a teaspoon of that, a dash of something else....

And a fistful of chocolate chips to sweeten the truth that summer is winding down.

Luckily, I'm versatile. Grumpy, but versatile.

No comments:

Post a Comment