Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff

 Last weekend, I celebrated my birthday. My daughter came home for a long weekend, which was the best gift I received. The weekend was a mix of time with friends and family and quiet time -- pretty much the perfect combination.

On a day-to-day basis, I worry a lot about the minutiae. To-do lists. Moving forward on my novel. Planning for my classes. While I journal about gratitudes every morning, that list, too, focuses on the small stuff. And, while it's important to celebrate the the little things, the older I get, the more I understand the advice not to sweat the small stuff.

When I set aside the details and step back, I have to admit that I have a very nice life. We aren't rich, but we have enough, and enough extra to splurge on dinners out, vacations, and gourmet birthday cakes. We won't be quitting our day jobs to travel around the world on our non-existent yacht any time soon, but that's okay. I'm perfectly happy to sit in my sunroom and read a good book.

One of the books I'm reading now is Valerie Bertinelli's memoir, Enough Already: Learning to Love the Way I am Today. Last week, I came across this passage, written when she turned 60:

Someone asked what I want for my birthday. Here's what I want:

I want to be able to laugh like Julia Roberts, a kind of joyous, from-the-heart laugh that erupts from within and shakes the entire room.

I want my kid to be healthy and happy.

I want the same for my brothers and their wives and kids and my friends and their families.

I want people to have enough to eat and drink, especially kids.  

I want there to be enough of whatever people need to pass around so everyone gets their fair portion. 

That's it. 

Yep. Aside from making a few tweaks here and there to personalize it to my family, I couldn't agree more. 

Birthdays are a good time for thinking about what really matters. While the to-do lists and minutiae have their place, it's always good to remember that's not all there is and, hopefully, live accordingly.

Wishing you a balance between the big and the small, along with plenty of time in the coming seasons to decide what matters most, and what you want to do about it.


(PHOTO CREDIT: Artturi_Mantysaari via Pixabay)

No comments:

Post a Comment