Friday, April 14, 2023

Friday Feature: Keeping Track

 
I love notebooks. I've collected so many, in fact, that I might actually have a lifetime supply. Some of my stash is brand new, just waiting for the right task, but I also have a significant number of partially used notebooks and journals, many of which were my daughter's at various stages in her development. When only the first few pages have been used, they're worth setting aside and repurposing (have to save those trees!).

Recently, I decided I needed a book journal. Thanks to my Audible membership and the small, but realistic reading goals I've been setting for myself, my book consumption has gone up. And, as a result, I want to keep track of the ideas, fun quotes and other interesting bits and pieces I've discovered in the process.

I didn't actually come up with the idea myself. Rather, I got the idea from a stationery website. While I loved their book journal in theory, I quickly discovered it offered much more detail and structure than I wanted or needed. So, I dug through my collection and quickly found the perfect candidate -- a notebook my daughter had discarded. With a laminated cover about the same thickness as a composition book (only prettier), it was just right.

I quickly got started setting up new notebook, making a template of the information I wanted to record about each book. Now, whenever I finish a book (whether traditional, e-book, or audiobook), I know just where to go to make notes about it and record all the information I want to remember.  Not only does it create a record that's fun to review, but it takes my reading resolution to the next level.

It's funny how one thing can lead to another. A few Sundays later, I decided to make time for a Sunday Sampling of my Kindle content. And, for the first time since I'd started my Sunday Samplings, I knew just where to keep track of things. I opened to a clean page in my reading journal and began recording the books I was in the middle of (many of which I'd forgotten I started) and which book samples showed promise, along with a few other details. Sure, it's all on my Kindle but having it all on one page suits my I need to see it personal style. In addition, it was relaxing to spend the time exploring and planning.

Writers are often advised that the best way to improve our own work is to read. But, when we have (non-writing) jobs and families, all too often, we jettison reading so we can find time to write. It took me a long time to re-establish my reading habit, and to find a way to make my reading style (reading multiple things at the same time in multiple formats) work for me. My reading journal is evidence that this habit has taken hold, and that it has grown to the point where I'm considering what comes next.

A few weeks ago, a new project elbowed its way in, nudging reading off the table some days and writing off the table on other days. Currently, I'm trying to find a way to make them all peacefully co-exist but, until then, keeping my reading alive in snippets and in my journal, and keeping my writing alive by penciling it into my calendar will make sure that everything gets its due.

More or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment