Friday, February 24, 2023

Collecting Words

 Unless I'm reading a novel and/or an e-book, I rarely read without a pencil in my hand. And, when it comes to magazines, I tend to go for scissors and tape to clip out the interesting bits and add them to my (newly started) clipping notebook. On my Kindle, I use the highlighting option (frustratingly absent for samples of e-books) and, on Audible, I use the clipping feature.

In other words, when I find something interesting, quotable, and/or well-written, I want to save it.

Today, I was paging through a magazine and I found savable snippets on nearly all of the opening  pages. Some were simply interesting, but the first one I stumbled onto (the first one in the list below) stopped me for a different reason, and actually changed the way I scanned the pages that followed. 

Here are a few highlights from those early pages. And, if you must know, it was AARP: The Magazine.

Something I hope people say (or will say) about me: "She's always authentically herself and very accessible." (Written about Helen Mirren in a letter to the editor)

Something I identified with because I just dug out my own wedding china a few months ago: "My mother never got a chance to use her wedding china. It was locked in a little cabinet. When the Troubles (in Northern Ireland) escalated, a tank rumbled down the street, and all the china broke." (In an interview with Roma Downey)

Something I thought was cool: Suitcases with USB chargers, pop-up shelving and GPS tracking. (Suddenly, I feel the need to go suitcase shopping!)

Something(s) I'll clip because I want to use the info: Features on how to remove personal info from a laptop, how to diagnose a phone battery, and how to cancel/renew streaming subscriptions.

Things to add to my watch list (a.k.a. why I still have Apple TV): Sharper with Julianne Moore and John Lithgow

You get the drift. 

I know I could just take pictures with my phone, but I'm very much a hard copy girl.

It's my system, and it works for me. How about you? Can you just read a magazine, or are you a word collector too?


No comments:

Post a Comment