Friday, July 15, 2022

Friday Feature: Lionel Richie's Attitude


 I don't usually choose articles about celebrities for this feature, but the opening to this People magazine article about Lionel Richie grabbed me:

"I'll pass on exactly what my father said to me," he [Richie] says. "'Aptitude plus attitude determines altitude. If you happen to have both, sky's the limit. But if you're only blessed with one, have the right attitude because people will love to have you around.'"

I think I just found the opening to my Chat with a Professor meeting my freshmen at the end of next month. The course? 

My first year seminar entitled "Attitude to Altitude." 

Richie goes on to talk about mysterious throat issues that plagued him and led to surgeries, which were likely unnecessary. Ultimately, reflux was at the root of the issues.

Been there, fortunately without the unnecessary surgeries, thanks to a voice teacher and physicians who knew their stuff. 

Richie focuses on music (of course), parenthood, and identity -- three of my favorite topics. The online version is abbreviated, but their separate slideshow on Richie fills in some of what's locked behind the paywall. 

The print article, part of People's February issue celebrating Black history, brought back many college memories for me, as so many of his songs were the soundtrack to that time in my life. And, although the pull quote at the end of the piece references Black history month, it spoke to me as well.

"It is a wonderful time to look back at how we got here."

Indeed. And perhaps to consider the intersection of aptitude, attitude, and altitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment