Monday, January 24, 2022

Happy Macintosh Computer Day!

 

Firmbee via Pixabay


Are you an Apple person or a PC person? I am most definitely the former.

Years ago, when my daughter was small, my husband got his first iPhone. He kept trying to talk me into one, but I was a hard sell. My phone was cheaper, and it did everything I needed it to.

Fast forward almost two decades. I have an iPhone and an iPad and there's no way I'd trade my MacBook for a PC. I'm a hybrid girl, actually, but not by choice. Everything at work is PC-based, so I have to be digitally bilingual. Some days that works better than others.

Today, however, is Macintosh Computer Day, so I'm extolling the virtues of my platform of choice -- or at least sharing a few Apple anecdotes.

I knew I was an iPhone girl when I was trying to get home from one of my first parties as a Thirty-One consultant and got horribly turned around. I pulled over, typed my home address into the maps app and found my way home. That's not to say that other phones (and cars, for that matter) don't offer that same feature, but I'm loyal by nature, sticking with the products and companies that have impressed me and/or served me well.

I was the first iPad owner in my house when my husband got me one for Christmas ages ago  (it's still around here somewhere). I don't upgrade randomly, though. I keep my devices until they no longer function and/or need repairs that justify replacement instead of repair. My husband, on the other hand, is a fan of the latest and greatest. I replace my devices when they die. He replaces his when something cooler comes out.

My favorite MacBook feature is multiple desktops. As someone with an I need to see it personal style, I am the queen of the open tab. Multiple desktops (current total: 12) allow me to organize by task (class planning) or app (Keynote) so I don't have a huge pile-up on one desktop. Do I sometimes get carried away? Why, yes, I do! (But it's worth it anyway). As a MacBook Air owner, the thin, lightweight profile of the MacBook is a close second when it comes to favorite features.

My favorite Apple feature is Handoff, which allows me to open something on my phone, then go to the exact same spot on my iPad or MacBook by clicking on an icon. It comes in very handy when I start a task on one device and want to pick up where I left off on another.

Bottom line? Apple products are just more intuitive, at least to me. I can usually figure out what to do when I get stuck (or Google it, or go to an Apple site for answers). I don't feel that way about PCs, or about PC software. (Don't even get me started on Word). And, if all else fails, there's the Apple Store or chatting with an Apple tech online. 

I don't get a commission for convincing people to buy Apple products (I wish!), nor am I trying to talk anyone into coming over to my side of the digital fence. It's just that Macintosh Computer Day seemed like a good day to think about why I made (and keep making) this choice. 

And it's not just because I'm afraid my MacBook will turn on me and eat my files if I don't. Really. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment