Friday, January 28, 2022

Friday Feature: When Omicron Gets You Down


 I am, by nature, a pretty positive person. My nickname in college was "Giggles." A former principal told me she could often tell where I was in the building because she could hear my laugh long before she saw me. (My laugh is, arguably, my loudest form of self-expression). I'm a huge proponent of positive psychology and all it has to offer.

These are all things I'm proud of.

But lately, almost two years into a pandemic, I'm finding it much harder to put on a happy face, and I'm finding that I feel "out of sorts," as my mom would say, more often than usual. I'm fortunate in that my feelings are more garden variety grumpiness and impatience than anything more serious, but there are days when I find my non-giggles persona worrisome. 

Last night, I stumbled across this article in one of my favorite resources, Greater Good Magazine. It is perhaps the best article I've read on that site and, most definitely, one of the best articles I've read in months. It is powerful, realistic, and incredibly timely. It can be briefly summed up by the famous quote from Squire Bill Widener, "Do what you can, with what you've got, where you are," but it's so much more. 

Read it, no matter how you feel, and no matter how you feel about positive psychology. You'll be glad you did.

Be careful out there, and take care of yourselves. 


No comments:

Post a Comment