Friday, September 24, 2021

Friday Feature: The Other Side of the Story

 


On my way home today, I heard a fascinating panel about vaccine hesitancy among the BIPOC population. I just happened to be in the car when it came on; if I hadn't, I would have missed it completely.

So much of what it said made so much sense and yet, I'm embarrassed to say that some of what should have been obvious wasn't. While a portion of the vaccine hesitant population is misinformed, that's not the whole story. Again, hardly breaking news, but the very real obstacles that were discussed gave me pause.

If all of the information that was available about vaccines was in another language -- one I didn't speak or understand, would I have gotten vaccinated?

If the vaccine site was located far from my home, would I have gotten vaccinated?

If I had to take off work and lose a portion of a day's pay, would I have gotten vaccinated?

If I didn't have a trusting relationship with at least one medical professional who could answer my questions (personally, I consulted at least two), would I have gotten vaccinated?

If I'd had a terrible experience with a medical professional or in a medical setting, would I have gotten vaccinated?

If my ancestors had been unwitting guinea pigs for unscrupulous researchers, would I have gotten vaccinated?

If I didn't have a computer and access to broadband to make my vaccine appointment, would I have gotten vaccinated?

These were some of the issues discussed (civilly and in a non-judgmental way) in this afternoon's panel. Some I'd considered; others I hadn't even thought of.

Fortunately, there are plenty of advocates out there closing the gap and answering questions, bringing the vaccine to communities instead of forcing the community to come to the vaccine. Some minds will be changed; others will not. 

Fear is a very hard thing to assuage, and distrust is difficult to overcome and, unfortunately, there's plenty of both on both sides of the vaccine wars. But maybe, if we take a moment to put ourselves in the other person's shoes, so to speak, we might be able to slow down and listen long enough to have a conversation like the one I overheard today.

I'm glad that today was a day I was in the right place at the right time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment