Friday, July 9, 2021

Friday Feature: If I'm an Apple, Can I Retire Next Week?

 

No, I'm not really planning to retire next week -- or even hoping to. But, as someone who has already retired from one career, I've done a fair amount of reading on IRAs, annuities and stock portfolios, and I've never heard retirement explained in terms of fruit. If I had, perhaps my eyes would have glazed over less often.

Jim DeGaetano has used exactly that analogy, though, classifying wannabe retirees as pears, apples, and strawberries based on their expected income for needs, wants and legacies. In this clear article from Next Avenue, he lays out what it means to be an apple, a pear, or a strawberry, and what to keep in mind, based on which fruit best describes you. 

I love it when professionals find clever ways to explain their areas of expertise, especially when they can do so without being condescending. Now, if only all financial planning was as easy as A is for Apple.

No comments:

Post a Comment