Friday, July 30, 2021

Friday Feature: COVID Vaccine Myths and Facts: Some Good Sources


Yesterday, I read an article in the New York Times about the anger that vaccinated people are feeling about going backwards. We've followed the rules. We've done things "right" and now, despite that, we're not only back to masking and fear, we're feeling helpless. 

I'm not angry, exactly, but I am frustrated. I want to stop wearing masks. I want to teach my classes without fear of illness (mine or theirs). I want people to stop dying from this disease. I want those who can take the vaccine to get vaccinated so we can reach herd immunity and go back to something resembling a normal life. 

As an educator, I'm big on information. So, today (tonight, actually, as I postponed writing this), I'm going to share a variety of sources addressing the myths surrounding vaccines. I cannot even imagine being a person of color and taking a leap of faith that this time, the system is trustable. I can't imagine being afraid of needles but getting one anyway. 

But, I also can't imagine dying from this disease, alone and afraid, when there's a viable alternative.

I can only hope that reading the facts helps someone, and that is my goal here. I don't want to take away anyone's rights, but I'd like to have a few of my own back. 

If you've got a great source I missed (credible, science-based), please include it in the comments. No one should ever take medication without knowing the facts and I hope those provided here make the medicine easier to take in order to protect those who truly cannot be vaccinated. 

From Healthline: "Here's How it Was Possible to Develop COVID Vaccines so Quickly"

From the CDC: "Key Things to Know About COVID-19 Vaccines"

From the Mayo Clinic: "COVID-19 Vaccines: Get the Facts"

From Johns Hopkins: "COVID-19 Vaccines: Myth vs. Fact"

From University of Missouri: "The COVID-19 Vaccine: Myths vs. Facts"

Thanks for reading. Back to my regular, non-political posts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment