Friday, May 7, 2021

Friday Feature: Zoom Dysmorphia


First Snapchat surgeries and now Zoom Botox? 

If the time you've spent staring into your device's camera has left you scrutinizing your features for imperfections, you're not alone. Personally, I just like to make sure my hair's not sticking up, my makeup is blended and I'm not so close to the screen that I look otherworldly.

But, according to this article from MedPage Today, plenty of people are leaving Zoom meetings feeling badly about themselves due to things beyond the meeting content. Zoom dysmorphia not only leaves online meeting attendees hyperfocusing on perceived flaws, but also flocking to dermatologists to do something about them.

I shook my head when it was teens who wanted to get surgery so they'd permanently look like they looked courtesy of Snapchat filters, but Zoom dysmorphia seems to be affecting people old enough to know better. I thought I was as vain as the next person, but maybe I'm not. Or maybe I'm just not very observant, or old enough that my eyesight really is going. I suppose if a procedure helps someone feel better about himself or herself, it's not a bad thing but this article left me with one thought.

We really need to get out more.



No comments:

Post a Comment