Monday, February 3, 2020

Random Thoughts on a Sick Day

Pixabay
I spent most of the day yesterday on the sofa, where I dozed off during the Super Bowl and tried to sleep sitting up before deciding that going up to bed was probably a better idea. I decided fairly early in the evening that the hacking cough that was my primary symptom would not be welcome in my classroom and so I should cancel classes.

Which I did. As soon as I could muster up the energy to get off the sofa and grab my laptop to email my students.

So, here I sit on the sofa (day 2) awaiting the only appointment remaining at my doctor’s office - 6:00 this evening with a doctor that’s not my own. No complaints - I’m glad I can be seen.

Meanwhile, the day stretches out before me, and here are some of my random thoughts.

  • I made the right decision canceling classes. No one wants me breathing on them. But, it’s so early in the semester! Will I catch up?
  • I feel better than yesterday. I think.
  • Is it bad if I just stay here under the blanket on the sofa all day?
  • Pretty sure this is just an upper respiratory infection. Is it even worth a doctor visit?
  • I’m glad Steve took the day off. It’s nice not being alone when I am sick.
  • Can I write today, or will whatever I put on the page be nonsensical?
  • I’m bored. 
  • How can I be bored? This is the kind of day I long for - the whole day to do whatever I want. If I only had the energy.
  • I think I’ll take a nap.
  • Should I try to grade some papers?
  • Well, this is one way to meet my February reading goal. 
  • Maybe I should watch the Impeachment hearings. Nah. Pretty sure I know how they’re gonna turn out.
This is definitely an improvement over yesterday when my mind was in the same molasses-like state as my body. 

It’s not so bad staying home. I will get caught up, right? 

I think I’ll take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment