Monday, November 11, 2019

4 Things I like about Facebook Parties

Pixabay
Last weekend, I was part of a multi-author Facebook event, something I really enjoy. These are some of my favorite book events because, although they lack the face-to-face benefits of in-person events, they can be less stressful, while still offering the benefits of a book event.

Here are four things I like about Facebook book parties.

1. Dress is semi-professional casual. While it's not unusual for me to roll out of bed and up to the computer where I write in my pajamas, I don't get that casual for Facebook parties. Instead, I dress comfortably and even put on makeup (though no one can see me) because a professional event demands some semblance of professionalism. Still, it's nice to know that I could wear pajama pants and a sweatshirt if I wanted to.

2. I can sit the whole time. An author coach once told me that she doesn't allow her clients to sit at signings and events, and that's advice I've taken to heart. I do take advantage of available seating when signings are slow but if customers are in the store, I am standing. Facebook parties don't require this.

3. I meet new people. At physical book signings, my goal is to stand, smile and greet everyone who comes into the store. Most walk right by (some avoiding eye contact all the while), but a few stop to chat. Sometimes Facebook events draw a lot of people but, usually, only a few engage. Both situations are nice, but for different reasons. It's great when lots of people are interested in my books, but a small group that I can actually chat with feels more personal.

Bru-nO via Pixabay
4. They give me a chance to introduce/talk about my characters and my books. This is, after all, the purpose of an event like this, and it's something every author loves. If we're going to spend months (or years) of our lives developing characters and ideas, it's wonderful to have a chance to share them with the world -- especially an audience who wants to hear about them (almost) as much as we want to talk about them.

So, if an author invites you to a Facebook party, I hope you'll drop by. You can pop in and out as it
suits your schedule and, if you're feeling unsure, you can just hang out in the background and take it all in.

And you can even wear your pajamas if you want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment