Wednesday, July 24, 2019

A National Tequila Day visit from Marita and Bets

Happy National Tequila Day! Although tequila is emphatically not my drink of choice, Bets and Marita do love their margaritas, so it seemed as though they should make an appearance here today. But first, an update.

Casting the First Stone is still unavailable (except through me, as I still have some copies from the original printing) while I put the finishing touches on a new cover for the re-release. Chasing a Second Chance is still available in paperback and Kindle versions on Amazon and is part of the Kindle Unlimited library.

I completed the third book in the series (still untitled!) at the end of June and I'm in the middle of revisions, so I thought I'd share an excerpt. Since it's National Tequila Day, it seemed only appropriate to choose a scene that takes place at the bar where Bets's boyfriend, Trevor works. 

       Aspen crossed her legs, revealing the better part of a tanned, well-toned thigh. “So you’re the new model. A little more mileage than I expected.”

Bets’s eyes narrowed and Marita slid off her stool, placing herself between Bets and Aspen in two brisk paces. “I’m Marita. Bets’s friend. You here for a reason?”

Aspen looked at her, amused. “You’re cute. Sticking up for your little friend. No need. I’m just here for a drink.” She took a sip of her black Russian. “And maybe a little reminiscing.”

Trevor shook his head. “Sorry, Aspen. All sold out.”

Aspen replied with a torrent of delicate laughter, as though Trevor had just said the funniest thing she’d ever heard.

Bets rolled her eyes. Marita nudged her friend surreptitiously toward a stool and Bets took the hint. Slowly and deliberately, Bets placed herself on the stool. Then, in full actress mode, she turned to Aspen, all smiles. “Well, you’re just in time for our toast. Trevor, honey, why don’t you get Aspen a glass of champagne?”

Aspen held up her glass. “This is fine. And I won’t be doing any toasting, thank you.” She finished off her drink, then stood, dropping a fifty on the bar through well-manicured fingers. “I just stopped by to say hello to my dear, dear ex and, lucky me, I got to meet my successor and her entourage. Such a pleasure. Have a good night, all.”

Aspen strolled out of the bar, capturing half a dozen admiring glances along the way. Through the front windows of the bar, Marita watched Trevor’s ex nod to the man who held her door as she climbed into the back seat of a long, black, late model sedan. Closing the door behind her, the man walked around and climbed into the driver’s seat, easing out into traffic shortly thereafter.

Gregory cleared his throat. “Well, that was interesting.”

Bets gritted her teeth. “That’s one word for it.”

I'm very excited for you to read the rest! The book should be ready to go to beta readers at the beginning of August. Meanwhile, if you have a great title idea, please share it in the comments below. I have one I love (Red Dresses and Revelry), but would prefer to stick to the first, second, third theme.

How will you celebrate National Tequila Day? Unlike Marita and Bets, I'll bypass the margaritas and indulge instead in an iced chai from Starbucks.

After all, I have revisions to attend to.


No comments:

Post a Comment