Writing has been a struggle for me lately -- something that's not news if you're a regular reader of this blog. So, when we went on vacation, I packed a notebook, hoping to kick off a habit of writing for ten minutes a day. It was vacation. Surely I'd be inspired?
More like tired. I opened the notebook once. That was it. And the entry was pretty unimpressive. I had little interest in journaling about the day and my mind was a complete blank when it came to "real" writing.
I have never allowed myself to accept the concept of writer's block. Instead, I've believed that when you get stuck, you power through. Though I'm not without sympathy for those who are afflicted, I just never allowed myself to use the label, fearful that something as substantial as a block could become a permanent fixture in my writing life. Sit, I told myself. Write something. ANYTHING. Eventually words will flow.
On our last night in Canada, I packed my notebook in my suitcase -- the one that would stay in the car while we were at our daughter's apartment for one night before returning home. That night, exhausted by all the travel, I spent much too much time on my devices, playing games and checking social media. Finally, disgusted with myself, I set the devices aside.
And an idea popped into my head. And then another. All I had at my disposal was a pack of Post-its. So, I pulled out my ultra-thin black Sharpie marker and started squeezing words onto yellow squares of paper, inhaling the aroma of my chosen writing implement.
Sometimes, you have to tiptoe past the muse and hope she catches up with you. After that, it's just a matter of finding a blank page and something to write with.
So, that's it? Problem solved? Hardly. But every word on the page is a victory.

No comments:
Post a Comment