I especially (and intentionally) wear it when I'm going somewhere I think she'd like to go or visiting someplace she's never been. Most recently, she accompanied my family on our vacation to Niagra Falls and Toronto. On the evening we returned, my husband, my daughter and I were gathered at my daughter's apartment, and I wondered aloud what Mom would have thought of the trip. We were all tired and a bit unimaginative at the time, and didn't come up with much of anything in the way of a reply. As I continued to turn the question over in my mind, however, I came to a few conclusions.
I think Mom would have found the whole idea of an Air BNB a bit strange. Staying in someone else's house? Someone you don't even know? Why would anyone want to do that?
She would almost definitely have not participated in the Journey Behind the Falls at Niagra Falls, especially if she could see it on video for free and not get her hair wet in the process. And, while I think she'd have enjoyed browsing in the gift shop, I'm certain she'd have spent much less money than we did.
An inveterate crossword puzzle fan, I think she'd have liked the bilingual signs in Toronto and would have filed away a few words for future puzzle endeavors.
She would definitely have preferred the nighttime bus tour to the daytime walking tour. But, as someone who used to walk to work in all kinds of weather, she'd have loved the concept of the Path. I don't think I'd have gotten her on the subway, though.
And St. Lawrence Market? Like her daughter, she'd have headed straight for the bakery.
It's fun to imagine taking Mom along with me on my journeys and adventures, such as they are, but it's even nicer to simply imagine having her there with me through the magical ring she entrusted me with. Someday, I hope she'll let me know what she thought of the journeys.
Photo credit: Wikipedia

No comments:
Post a Comment