Friday, June 26, 2020

Friday Feature: Bringing Mindless Habits to Mind

It's summer, and so I'm doing a lot more reading than usual. Typically, I'm reading more than one book at a time, and I move from one to another depending upon what interests me and how much time I have to dig into whatever I'm reading. 

One theme that keeps popping up in what I'm reading is habit -- developing good ones, breaking bad ones and how they form in the first place -- which is how I ended up reading a Fast Company article about how a few common habits are perhaps worse for us than we think.

Don't get me wrong -- it's not a doom and gloom piece -- in fact, my favorite takeaway was the simple concept of allowing more time for a task in an effort to cut back on multitasking. Written in plain English by neuroscientist Tara Swart, the article points out that mindless habits can have a long-term impact on our minds -- and our bodies. 

The good news? Making a change can start with one simple step: paying attention to what we're doing rather than operating on autopilot. 

What will you strive to be mindful of today?

No comments:

Post a Comment