Monday, September 23, 2019

Something to be Grateful For

Cool wall decor at The Caffeinated Bookworm.
So, I'm sitting here, watching Dancing with the Stars and finishing up my class prep for tomorrow, wondering how it is that I'm finished ahead of schedule.

And then it hits me. I never wrote a blog post today.

Oops.

On Saturday, I did a book signing at a wonderful little indie bookstore and on Saturday night, we picked up my daughter, who did a whirlwind day and a half at home. Today was a run here/run there kind of a day as she and I got in all the essentials (her favorite sandwich place, her favorite ice cream) before I had to take her back to the train station.

These are not excuses for not writing a post. They are fuel for it.

The last few days have been punctuated by my favorite things. On Saturday, the bookseller was lovely, having a table all set up for me when I arrived. That sounds like a small thing, perhaps, but there are many events where authors show up to an empty table -- and a not so pretty one, at that -- and need to start a set up from scratch. She had taken the time to order and display my books and she was fun to hang out with for the two hours I was there. I sold books, I saw friends (and made new ones) and I had fun.

And my daughter....well, she's one of my favorite people. We rarely get to see her in the middle of a semester, so this was a real treat. We did absolutely nothing exciting, but just having her here makes my mommy heart swell -- in a good way.

The older I get, the more I struggle when my boring, predictable routine is interrupted. But, this weekend, I was reminded that interruptions in the routine are what life is all about. My heart knows this but my head, hampered by a drive to be productive and more interests than I have time to fully pursue, argues back in a very bossy way.

Last Saturday was World Gratitude Day, something I clearly celebrated. So, tonight, as I sit here chilling on my sofa, waiting for my daughter to tell me she's arrived safely back at school, maybe it's also time to be grateful for things that shake up the routine.

Even if it means I almost forget to write a blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment