Friday, December 14, 2018

Friday Feature: Me, Myself & I in the Future

I am a procrastinator. Not such a procrastinator that I don't get things done, or that I am constantly in stress mode because I'm working on everything at the very last possible minute, but definitely a dl-everything-else-imaginable-instead-of-what-I'm-supposed-to-be-doing procrastinator. John Perry called this structured procrastination, and I embraced this term with every I'll-get-to-it-in-a-minute bone in my body.

Turns out, I'm not alone and, according to an article by Becky Kane-Doist in Fast Company, it's all my brain's fault. Luckily, my brain and I inhabit the same body and I still have some semblance of control. Even if it's an uphill battle.

What it boils down to is how we think of our present selves vs. how we think of our future selves. Knowing this and understanding the ways in which we can make both selves happy, makes it easier to adjust our thinking and, consequently, our actions.

Suddenly, my love of the snooze alarm makes so much sense. And, while I'm pretty sure I'll continue that particular love-hate relationship, I definitely want to try some new strategies on my more wakeful self, if only to eliminate one of procrastination's favorite traveling companions.

Guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment