Wednesday, October 31, 2018

It's All Fun and Games Until Someone has a Deadline

SarahRichterArt via Pixabay
On Monday, I wrote about the "glamorous" life of an author. That night, as I was falling asleep, I began thinking of commitments -- all of them fun -- I had scheduled on Saturdays in November. The York Book Expo this weekend. Cards with friends that same night (if I can stay awake). A weekend in New York to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday by going to a Billy Joel concert (our third one). Thanksgiving.

Every single Saturday in November is booked, which definitely sounds like a glamorous life. Except that Saturdays are the day I usually carve out a chunk of time to write.

And I have a book manuscript due December 1.

I woke up around 4 AM and lay in bed, reminding myself to breathe.

I've been working on this book since I signed the contract. It's nearly finished. But the reality of my teaching and writing schedule combined with the terrifying proximity of the deadline was panic-inducing.

Or, in other words, perhaps the kick in the pants a procrastinator needs.

So, I got up yesterday morning, ready to set priorities and make headway. I checked a few things off my list, went to work, taught some classes and checked a few things off my list there. When I got home, I was so motivated that I took a nap. And when I woke up, I did what any author in my position would do.

I texted a fellow author and told her how panicked I felt.

This, my friends is the true glamorous life of an author.

I am happy to report that some writing did get done (and not just this blog post), along with the requisite planning necessary to ensure that I stay focused and crank out those last two chapters. Luckily, there are other days of the week besides Saturday, and I need to make sure that I squeeze writing into more of them.

A writer's gotta do what a writer's gotta do.

No comments:

Post a Comment