Monday, November 27, 2017

Taking a Chance: The Conclusion

Photo: The Belmont Theatre
I got the part!

So, now what?

Am I crazy?? Not only is it less than a month until Christmas, but innumerable final exams, papers and presentations (to be graded) pave the path from now until December 25. Where am I planning to put rehearsals?

Am I ever going to write again?? Guess that one's a moot point, since I'm writing right now! Still, I'm sure my characters (not to mention my family) might feel a bit neglected....but my characters can wait until after final exams.

Am I too old?? I never worried about memorizing lines when I was a teenager or twenty-something (or even a thirty-something). But, these days, when I can remember what I wore on the first day of school in 1978 but forget what I'm doing without even leaving my chair, I'm a tad concerned that the process might be a little more complicated.

It would seem that I should have considered all of these things before I auditioned (I did). And now, it would seem there is only one way to find out the answers to these questions.

Back in the day, I waited breathlessly for phone calls to come and cast lists to appear. This time around, even when the call came, I was calm. Sure, I'd have been disappointed to hear that someone else had been chosen, but clearly I have plenty to keep me busy while I'm offstage.

But today, as the afternoon wears on and the first rehearsal draws closer, I'm getting excited. The practical part of me hopes I can leave after meeting the cast and reading through my scenes, but I'm still optimistic that I can still get through everything on my to-do list even if I'm there a bit longer.

Maybe it's not optimism. Maybe I'm delusional. (And sounding a little like my character). But, having landed on this side of the page, all I can do now is show up and find out.

And start learning my lines.

Post rehearsal post script: This is going to be so much fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment