Friday, September 22, 2017

Friday Feature: Why Don't They Like Me?

Have you ever been around someone who just rubbed you the wrong way? The person was nice enough -- or maybe even too nice -- but there was something you couldn't put your finger on that made you want to talk to someone else instead.

Not surprisingly, psychologists are interested in this, too. This article from Big Think by Robby Berman had me nodding along to the descriptions and, if truth be told, a little relieved that I'm not the only one who reacts to some of these things in a negative way.

Take the customer service person whose attitude would give saccharine a run for its money -- please. I don't blame her; I've gone to that particular business often enough to know it's part of the training. Consequently, I do many of my interactions with them online, avoiding the brick-and-mortar establishment altogether. (Clearly I'm not talking about my beloved Starbucks!)

But the establishments I do frequent break very few of the rules in Berman's article. The people there are friendly, but not nausea-evoking. They smile. They make pleasant chit chat, but don't overshare. In short, they not only make me glad I came, they make me want to come back.

Here's hoping you have a weekend surrounded by people who make you feel the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment