Monday, May 1, 2017

Pondering

You Tube

Well I'm the type of guy that likes to roam around.
I'm never in one place I roam from town to town.
And when I find myself falling for some girl 
Well I hop right into that car of mine and drive around the world…



Dion might have been a wanderer, but I'm a ponderer. Not a morning person and slow to rise, I am a fan of the snooze button. Lying in bed, I ponder the day ahead, letting the things I have to do that day run through my head until they sort themselves into some sort of order. Often, a new idea inserts itself into the mix -- something creative if I'm lucky -- and that's sometimes the thing that sends me springing out of bed to face the day. Other times, I grab my iPad and tap out my new idea, corralling it before the day's busyness sends it skittering away. By the time guilt inspires me to get up, I know exactly where I will start my day, and often, I've settled on my Big 3 as well. 

Morning people -- or at least those who are more disciplined than I am -- forego the snooze button and do this planning over their first (and second) cup of coffee. I give them credit for not giving in to the siren song of blankets and pillows, but I think, in the end, we end up in the same place.

Sometimes, I feel guilty for starting my days this way, but this process seems to work for me. Not yet distracted by all of the possible directions my day can go, I can think about what matters most to me and ensure it gets a spot on the day's to-do list. Some days, my first walk through the house revises that list, but most days, the things I've thought of while still in bed are the things I get accomplished.  

It may be unconventional (or maybe it's more conventional than I realize), but my method allows me to start my day by engaging in two processes that don't usually happen together -- focusing on what matters and letting my mind wander. Together, they create a pretty strong start to the day.

How do you start your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment