Friday, October 7, 2016

Millennials, Boredom, Employment and Solutions

Created with Canva
One night last week, my husband and I were talking about the things that keep people happy at work, and, therefore at work in their current position instead of pursuing another one. I recalled a meeting I'd had as a new hire in education back in the late 1980s, a meeting where the building administrator had told us we were educating kids who would look at jobs differently than we had. These kids, he said, would hold an average of six jobs over the span of their professional careers.

Things have changed since then, and the pendulum has most definitely not swung back. According to Ryan Holmes, CEO at Hootsuite, Millennials change jobs about once every 2 1/2 years -- and that's just during the first ten years after college. This information, coupled with a desire to keep good employees, spurred Holmes to create a program that would keep valued employees right where he wanted them: with his company.

As a non-Millennial who shares the key trait Holmes writes about and based his program on, I found the idea fascinating. I hope my daughter, a member of Generation Z, will share that trait as well, and will use it to find her place not only in the workforce, but as a human being as well.

Curious? That's a good sign. Check out Holmes' article on LinkedIn.


No comments:

Post a Comment